The Olympics Development Authority (ODA) have applied to Waltham Forest council for permission to erect on Leyton Marsh a basketball training centre comprising:
- Two 11 metre high modular court buildings
- A tented reception facility
- An access road
- A drop off area
- Car Park
- Plant storage containers
- Perimeter fencing
The location will be be to the north of the Ice Centre. Construction is planned to start on 1 March and the ODA say they will be off the site by 15 October.
Residents in Hackney have several concerns about this application. They can be summarised as:
- Increased traffic congestion on and around Lea Bridge Road
- Light pollution into buildings and surrounding land on the Hackney side of the River Lea
- Noise pollution from tannoys into buildings and surrounding land from the courts themselves and associated amenities
- Loss of amenity for Hackney and Waltham Forest residents in terms of loss of open green space
- Detrimental effect on wildlife both through the immediate loss of habitat on the site, and through loss of part of the buffer zone between the Ice Centre and the Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) on Leyton Marsh
For more detail see the very detailed objection from the New Lammas Lands Defence Committee. NLLDC_objection
If you wish to object or comment to this proposal you should write to:
Development and Management Group
London Borough of Waltham Forest
London E17 4JF
Please quote application number 2011/1560.
The planning notice is dated 12 December and objections and comments originally had to be received within 21 days of that date, i.e. 2nd January 2012.
But the officer’s report is not yet written and it is still worth sending objections (at 11 Jan). When the situation changes we’ll update this item again.
If you want any more information please contact committee member
Please post any objection or comment preferably as a comment here for other people to see, and/or to Barry.